Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Complete List

This is my complete list of mountaineering supplies. I have divided the list into five subgroups that, in my opinion, would be intuitive categories for any climber preparing for a climb. Additionally, the categories form the memorable acronym P.A.T.H.S. There are four categories: provisions, apparel, travel gear, health items, and special items. I am somewhat ashamed of myself for using the clichéd art of acronym formulation, but I find it both sufficiently useful and memorable to mitigate the pain of associating myself with such a chintzy marketing ploy, but I digress.

Though each climber's list may vary significantly, I believe my own should suffice as an acceptable touchstone. Provisions will vary most significantly. For instance, I am gluten-free. If I were not, I would probably bring three Subway sandwiches and few other foods. I also stick to foods that do not require cooking because I lack the means and the desire to cook on the mountain. Apparel is largely equivalent from climber to climber. Likewise, travel gear shows little variance from climber to climber. Health items include preparations for altitude sickness, skin protection, and high-altitude defecation. Avoid these items at your own peril. Special items include anything non-vital for the expedition. These items can be brought at your discretion. I pack flags and a camera for photos at the top and the traditional shot of Jaegermeister.

Again, this is my personal list. If you put together a list and send it to me, I can post it as another example. We'll talk specifics later, but for now, this will be a good jumping-off point.


PROVISIONS
Cooking Equipment
---Cooking Stove (I don't use one yet.)
---Spork and Knife
Food
---Dried Fruit (Strawberries / Pineapple / Cranberries)
---Nuts (Almonds / Peanuts / Cashews)
---Gummi (Bears(chocolate covered?)/Sharks/Worms/Fish)
---Meat (Sausage / Jerky / Pepperstick / Salami)
---Carbohydrates (Cookies / Wafers / Rice Crispies)
---PB&J Sandwiches
---Honey
Water
---3 Bottles
---Gatorade
---Instant Coffee / Green Tea

APPAREL
Head
---Hat (Beanie / Sun Shade)
---Bandanna / Shemagh
---Sun Glasses
---Ski Goggles
Upper Body
---Base layer
---Long Sleeve Shirt
---Sweater / Fleece
---Coat
Lower Body
---Underwear (Preferrably not cotton)
---Base layer
---Hiking Pants (Convert to shorts)
---Snow Pants (I do, some don't)
Extremities
---Gloves
---Wool Socks (2-3X)
---Hiking Boots

Travel Gear
Beginner
---Backpack
---Headlamp
---Gaiters
More Technical
---Cramp-ons
---Snow Shoes
---Trekking Poles
Most Technical
---Climbing Harness and Carabiner
---Climbing Rope
---Climbing Helmet
---Ice Axe
---Skis and Skins / Snowboard (Optional)
Camping
---Tent
---Sleeping Pad
---Sleeping Bag (Bivy Sack and Sleeping Bag Liner Optional)
---Snowshovel (If camping in the snow)
---Flashlight
Glissading
---Garbage Bag or Snowpants

Health Gear (Survival)
Skin Protection
---Sunscreen
---Skin Cream
---Chapstick
---Anti-chafing method
Toiletries
---Toilet Paper
---Waste Disposal Bag
---Toothbrush
---Advil (altitutde sickness)
Survival
---Knife
---Compass
---Parachute Chord
---Matches
---Spare Batteries
---Phone
---Plastic Baggies

Special Items (Superfluous)
Camera
Flag (I will be packing a Washington flag and an East Malaysia flag.)
Mountain Dew
Tobacco
---Cigar or Pipe
Alcohol
---Small Shot Bottles for Summit
---Beer


Optional (Pre/Post-Hike)
Before and after the hike, it may be useful to have these items onhand.
Aloe Vera
5 gallon bucket for wet clothes or for washing clothes
Cook pot and burner for a hot meal.
Toiletries
Waterproofing Spray for boots, coat, pants, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment